SAFE@LAST is a registered charity working with and on behalf of young people at risk through running away. We are based at Dinnington, near Sheffield, and were established in response to an acute need for services for the 1 in 9 children under the age of 16 in South Yorkshire who are affected.
We are based at Dinnington, Nr Sheffield and were established six years ago in response to an acute need for services for the 1 in 9 children under the age of 16 in South Yorkshire who are affected.
SAFE@LAST currently operates:
- SAFEplace Children's Refuge - opened in April 2007 and based at a confidential location in South Yorkshire, this is the only children's refuge in the UK outside of London. SAFE@LAST provides 2 bed spaces of the 9 in the UK.
- Children's Helpline (Call, Text, Webchat) 0800 335 SAFE - operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (by SAFE@LAST staff and volunteers 9.30am - 8pm and by the National Runaways Helpline out of these hours.
- MISPER (Missing Persons) Project - working closely with South Yorkshire Police, SAFE@LAST project workers support children at risk of running away with the many and varied issues and problems that lead them to go missing.
- Education - we recognise that prevention is as important as providing services that react to those who have run away. SAFE@LAST delivers workshops and assemblies to schools and academies, highlighting the helpline number, text, webchat and refuge.
- Family Support Worker - working closely with families and parents/carers whose young people are at risk through running away.
SAFE@LAST works in partnership with all agencies including South Yorkshire Police, Children's Services and other Voluntary and Community Sector organisations.
We are proud of our supportive staff and volunteer team and work across all departments with the aim of keeping children and young people safe.
Our beneficiaries are young people aged 16 years and under at risk through running away.
• freephone helpline and text service
• Misper scheme
• Childrens refuge
• School prevention work
We regularly and successfully deliver work in partnership with South yorkshire Police and Children and young peoples services
Comments from beneficiaries & partners
’The worker spoke to me like a young adult and not like a kid’
‘it was good to be able to talk to someone’
‘your staff are patient and display a good sense of humour’
Every Child Matters Outcomes
From maltreatment, abuse or exploitation
From bullying and discrimination
From crime or anti-social behaviour
Be physically healthy
Be emotionally or mentally healthy
Be sexually healthy
Have a healthy lifestyle
Choose not to take drugs
Enjoy and Achieve
Achieve Economic Wellbeing
Engage in further education, employment and training
Make a Positive Contribution
Engage in decision-making
Choose not to offend, re-offend or engage in anti-social behaviour
Company Limited by Guarantee No: 4473847.
Registered Charity No: 1098980.
Geographical area served
- Wentworth North
- Wentworth South
- Wentworth Valley
- Rotherham North
- Rotherham South
- Rother Valley West
- Rother Valley South
Age ranges served
- Secondary 11-13
- Secondary 13-16
SAFE@LAST employs 20 staff.
GCSE’S, NVQ’S DEGREES
SAFE@LAST has 20 volunteers.
Approx 7000 young people
Being child led and responding creatively to young peoples needs
And for the Future...
- Nominated Child Protection Officer
- CRB checks
Policies in Place
- Child Protection Policy
- Safeguarding Policy
- Equality & Diversity Policy
- Health & Safety Policy
- Safe Lone Working Policy
- Confidentiality Policy
- Data Protection Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Complaints Procedure
- Disciplinary and Grievance Procedure
- Disability Discrimination Act Compliant
Quality Systems in Place